Now is tea time and in the weekend, it is sacred, well for me. I have a confession to make. Around 18 months ago, I moved in a furnished house with a gas oven. Since then, I am conducting an every day battle with it. It is sneaky, mysterious and an alien to me, but the worst of all… it is winning.
So, I stopped fighting and bought a cupcake/ donut/cakepop maker. It is the only way I found to eat (homemade) decent muffins, and baked treats. It works perfectly for me, and for these donuts.
This recipe comes from a cookbook for vegan baking, but I simplified it and dropped some ingredients. You can fry or bake them, it’s your choice.
Portion: 15-18 donut holes
Time: Preparation 12 min, Cooking baked donut 5-6 min, fried donut 2 min
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp of pumpkin spices mix (or my mix )
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1/4 cup margarine (or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup white or apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Canola oil (for frying)
Sugary Coating :
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup margarine
Chocolate Coating (optionnal):
- 1 chocolate bar of 100 gr/ 3.4 oz
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
1. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except baking soda: flour, sugar, spices.
2. In another bowl, mix the sparkling water, margarine, vanilla extract and vinegar.
3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Gently mix and add the baking soda.
4. Mix until well combined. You should have a consistency as shown in the picture below.
5. It is ready to be baked in the cakepop maker 5-6 minutes or until golden. If you prefer you can fry them in hot oil for about 2 minutes or as soon as golden-brown.
Tips: if you want to add fantasy, put chocolate squares in the baked donut or ice cubes of raspberry sauce.
For the sugary coating:
6. Mix the sugar and cinnamon.
7. Put the margarine 30 sec in the microwawe at 800 Watts.
8. Take a donut, dip it quickly in the margarine, and put it in the sugar. Mix and tap to eliminate excess sugar.
For the chocolate coating:
9. Melt the chocolate in the microwawe or in a bain marie.
10. Put a donut in the melted chocolate, cover all the donut, put it in the coconut flakes and mix. Tap gently to eliminate excess coconut.
11. Ready to serve! I hope you’ll enjoy.